Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Crazy Love Week 4

Small group met again to discuss #crazylove, chapter 4 -- the profile of the lukewarm Christian. If you have read the book, you know how humbling this chapter was. The video discusses the concept of being lukewarm, and asks you to go through the scriptures listed in the chapter and pick out the one that spoke to you. There was great conversation throughout the night and one gentleman in the group freely admitted he was lukewarm. This followed with several other people admitting it also. Now let me tell you about this group. We are all parents of teenagers. So we are BUSY. All our kids are completely over committed with sports and school and extra stuff. And we all want to be so highly involved in our kids lives that we don't want to miss things they participate in.. so we coach them, and we watch them play golf, and tennis, and baseball, and volleyball, and softball, and basketball, and you get the idea I am sure. Most of us also have younger kids that have to follow along...so basically we are all exhausted ALL the time. Anyway..

So the scripture that spoke to me the most, and I spoke up during group and told everyone, was Luke 14:34-35. This passage talks about salt losing it's saltiness and not even being good enough for the manure pile. Pretty depressing...I am so lukewarm that I am not even good enough to be tossed into the manure pile... powerful stuff...

Through the course of the evening, I commit myself to do better. I WILL get up and read my Bible, I WILL be extra nice to my wife, I WILL follow up and talk to my small group members just to say hello, I WILL be the leader of my family...well, let me just say thank God for GRACE! Not the church, but the actual grace that draws us closer to Him. the kind that allows me to be lukewarm for a little while, maybe through this season of life, The grace that helps me understand that my primary ministry is to be a father to 4 sons, a husband to one wife, and a child of one heavenly Father.

1 comment:

  1. Your posts always provoke me to thought. It's interesting to learn about your book study.

    I have personally struggled with time and commitment management in the past, so I'm familiar with the temptations to overcommitment, especially since overcommitment is viewed as a positive trait by some Christians.

    What will you do to reprioritize your commitments in order to do the things you "WILL"? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete